1. Overall process (staff review, review panels, formula review, exec com., commission
- The process of orienting new review panelists will be reviewed by Director Fraire and
updated for future grant cycles.
- Commissioner Puleo Moyer noted that one of the experienced panelists may be able to
lead an educational orientation session for new panelists.
- In the future, language pertaining to the panelists’ honoraria will clearly indicate that all
panelists receive their honoraria by default, rather than “optional.”
- Commissioner Puleo Moyer recommended that commissioners should be assigned to
review grant applications included on the panels they are chairing.
2. Specific areas to focus on for review -seek input from commissioners-(November meeting, prioritize)
Commissioner Curet is conducting an audit of the grant application and panel review
process through interviews with past panelists and arts organizations. Results of
Commissioner Curet’s research will be discussed during the November commission
3. Review final allocations, including short order and capital (traditional half)
- Typical allocations for short order and capital grants have historically been 50%.
- Chair Ritcherson proposed not defaulting to an allocation of 50% for future requests.
4. Number of assigned grants to read
- Consensus was that 10-12 grants per review panel is an ideal number.
- Commissioners are typically asked to review 5 grant applications per cycle.
5. Revisit commissioner chairing of panel review sessions (over 3-year term) mandatory
- Chair Ritcherson recommended requiring each commissioner to chair one grant review
panel during their 3-year term. In response, Vice Chair Klehr proposed the following
sequence for first term commissioners: 1) Attend, 2) Co-Chair, 3) Chair. Then in the
second term, chair one panel/year.
- A discussion revolved around balancing leveraging commissioner expertise while
ensuring each commissioner is accountable and educated about and fully participating in
the grant review process.
- Vice Chair Klehr suggested meeting with new commissioners to walk through reviewing
grant applications. It was determined that a grant review walk-through will be conducted
during the August commission meeting.