I. ED Report
- Dane County and Dane Arts are about to issue a press release on the recent Arts and
Economic Prosperity study results.
- The 2024 Business of Art Conference (March 7 – 9) is in planning stages led by a group
of four additional arts administrators. The theme of the conference is “Fuel for the Fire:
Imagine. Create. Execute.”
- Local artist T.L. Luke is designing the save the date card for the conference.
- Next week, Dane Arts welcomes Tito Medina to Madison, Nov 9 – 11.
- Dane Arts staff continue work on other programs such as the Greater Madison Music
City Project and incorporating arts StartingBlock Madison.
- Director Fraire submitted a budget request to the County Board of Supervisors to fully
fund the Cultural Affairs Specialist position.
- Currently 50% of the Cultural Affairs Specialist position is afforded by private funds. If
fully funded by the county budget, the remaining private funds would be distributed
directly back into the community via arts and culture activities.
- Director Fraire is in the process of scheduling a meeting with County Executive Joe
Parisi to touch base before his retirement in May 2024.
J. Future Meeting Items and Dates
- Proposed dates for 2024 Executive Committee and Commission meetings were
- Dane Arts staff proposed the default Commission meeting time of 8:30 a.m. every third
Wednesday of the month, pending approval by the Commission. The Executive
Committee meetings would be held at 8:30 a.m. the preceding Friday.
- The only exception is October 2024 when these meeting times are not possible due to
religious holiday conflicts. The Executive Committee agreed to reschedule the October
2024 Commission meeting on October 9th and the Executive Committee meeting on
- Chair Klehr proposed that during the November 8th Commission meeting the discussion
topic of supporting youth arts in Dane County could be discussed during areas of focus
1. Develop November 8, 2023, Commission Meeting Agenda
-roll call, establish quorum
-approve October 18, 2023, meeting minutes
-presentation group: Clyde Mayberry, The House Urban Arts, Inc.
-chair/executive committee report (recap cycle 2 grants review, 2024 meetings, major
2024 commission focus, focus of January poster reception
-individual Areas of Focus recap
-Executive Director’s report